Sunday, April 22, 2007

On the Mend

Pat had his hip replacement surgery on Friday the 20th. We got the call on Thursday night to be at the hospital at 5:15am. Ouch. Luckily the hospital is only about 15-20 minutes away. We arrived at the appointed time and Pat was taken back to the pre-surgery area. I stayed in the waiting room while they got him ready and then was able to sit with him until they took him to the OR at 7:00am. The surgeon spoke to me at 9:00am to let me know that everything went smoothly and that Pat would be in recovery for "a few hours". It turned out to be 5 hours because they had to wait until bed was available to move him to his room. Reminded me of a over booked flight. We weren't offered a free hospital stay for our wait. I finally saw Pat around 2:30pm. He was very groggy (I guess anesthesia and morphine will do that to you) and I only stayed with him a few minutes. I headed home to see the kids. My sister and her husband arrived on Thursday night and will be staying through the week. I am so grateful to have their help. My niece, her husband and his 8 year old son are also here to help out for the weekend. Molly and Aidan are having a great time and Aunt Barbara, Uncle Charlie and the gang are keeping them busy. We've also had a break in the weather and are enjoying some warm temps. The kids have been able to play outside and have been to the park. My sister and niece have put Molly and Aidan to bed the last two nights and they've gone right down. I think we may hire them full-time!

I went to the hospital around noon and found Pat sitting in a chair. He had already been for a short walk using his spiffy new walker. He was feeling better and was less groggy. He didn't sleep that well but not unexpected in the hospital with all the regularly scheduled poking and prodding. Pat's brother Mike came to visit. The OT came to give Pat some gadgets and show him how to put on his pants and socks. She also went over the Dont's for hip replacement patients. I went home for a bit to see Molly and Aidan and make them dinner. Afterwards I went back to the hospital. Pat was still sitting in his chair. He was sleepy and took a nap. We took a stroll up and down the hallway, kissed good night and then I went home. The surgeon will be in to see Pat tomorrow. He seems to be doing very well. He still has a long way to go but hes on the road to recovery. Pat should be coming home on Monday. Daddy misses his kids and they miss him too.

No comments: