Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Greetings From Canandaigua

We kicked the trip off with a stop at Dunkin Doughnuts around 10am and arrived safely at our destination around 4pm. Molly and Aidan traveled well. We stopped several times to use the potty we brought with us and enjoyed a roadside picnic lunch. We went directly to the lake house and received a warm welcome. Molly and Aidan made themselves right at home and were happy to find a stash of toys and other kids to play with. It was too cold to go swimming but we waded in the lake. Molly lost her footing and took an unexpected dip but that didn't seem to phase her. Our hostess served a lovely meal and that's when everything when horribly wrong. No naps were had on the drive up so both kids were tired. Add to that being in a new place among so many new faces and we have the perfect recipe for toddle mania. My SIL Sue had already checked us into our hotel that afternoon so we just had to head to the room. I unloaded the car while the kids explored. They helped me blow up their travel beds and then both began to cry, scream and refuse every request from Mom. Did I mention that I was exhausted too? Bad combo. I called Pat several times in utter despair. I even packed the car with thoughts of driving home (clearly I was not rational at that point since it would have been a 4 1/2 hour trip). Pat had suggested a ride in the car and I finally tried that around 11pm. After a few minutes both kiddies were zonked. But I wasn't about to get off that easy. Aidan didn't flinch when I took him from the car to put him in bed. Molly had woken up when we arrive back at the hotel and she was not a happy little girl. She kept repeating "I want to go home now". I felt terrible. I was able to rock her until she was calm and finally put her down at midnight. I passed out shortly afterward but slept fitfully all night.

So, today was a new day right?. It started as horribly as yesterday ended. I packed the car once again in anticipation of driving home after stopping at the lake house to say goodbye. However, I had a good cry upon arrival and received the encouragement I needed to stay. We had a great morning. The kids played in the sand, swam in the lake and enjoyed the company. After lunch we headed back to the hotel for an attempt at a nap. Having acted upon another brilliant suggestion from my husband, I found two portable cribs waiting for my in the room (which by the way is very nice-its a suite with separate living and sleeping areas and a mini kitchen with a not quite full size fridge). We watched a new Elmo DVD that was a present from Aunt Sue and then it was into the crib. I layed down on the bed and tried to inspire Molly and Aidan to sleep but instead listened to a comedy show and shouts of "mommy I want to get out" that lasted about 45 minutes. I finally decided to leave the room and after a few brief minutes of unhappiness they finally fell asleep. Molly coughed herself awake after only about an hour but hey I'll take anything at this point. Aidan had to be woken up and did so begrudgingly.

We headed back to the lake house and arrived just in time for a delicious lasagna dinner. Molly and Aidan had a good time again and lasted until 8pm when Molly declared that she wanted to go home. There was more unhappiness with being asked to use the potty and take in bath in a strange tub but we muddled throught. I read a story over Molly's protests, rocked both kids briefly and it was lights out shortly before 9pm. Molly crashed while Aidan chatted for a while. I don't hear anything now (10pm). Cross your fingers for a good night's sleep for everyone. Dispite the difficulties I'm glad I decided to stay.

No comments: